[Ti] Ram Limit

Chris Olson chris.olson at mac.com
Tue Feb 10 16:44:20 PST 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, at 2:51 PM, Chris Long wrote:

> Theoretically, if a manufacturer were to make 1 GB PC133 3.3v 144-pin
> SODIMM modules, they would work in the Titanium.

Theoretically, I suppose, it could. It depends on what the board
chipset will do. I've seen some PC's (x86) where you can drop in larger
than recommended RAM modules and it'll work, but it won't recognize the
extra RAM.  Since I've never actually tried that on a PowerPC machine,
I'm just guessing.

> I actually put 512 MB in a Wallstreet PowerBook that supposedly had a
> limit of 192 MB because at the time no one made 256 MB SDRAM chips.

Interesting.  My daughter has a Wallstreet G3/266 with 192MB in it
running Jaguar.  Did yours recognize the whole 512 MB?

> I don't know if this will happen, and it probably would void the
> warranty since it would require getting to the "non-serviceable" RAM
> slot, but it *could* work.

I suspect it won't happen due to the limited market for PC133 RAM
anymore.  It's gotten to the point where you can justify buying a new
Wintel piece of junk (if you're a Wintel user) before upgrading the RAM
in it.
--
Chris