[Ti] PCMCIA card for Ti - any success stories out there?

Fred fred at mindstate.com
Wed Feb 18 12:20:53 PST 2004

On 18.2.2004 12:51, "Steve Wozniak" <steve at woz.org> wrote:

> At 9:37 AM -0500 2/18/04, Malcolm Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Shall I try another type of PCMCIA card adapter?  Upgrade to Panther?
>
> I don't know if this is related to a prior problem with such adapters. For a
> number of us, the card would not dismount - spinning beach ball I think.
> Ejecting the card manually led to a 'reinsert' message. Upon reinserting the
> media card, a kernel panic resulted.
>
> Many of us found that by waiting several minutes, with the beach ball, the
> card eventually was successfully unmounted. My own experimentation showed that
> the wait time needed was probably dependent on the media card capacity.
>
> One post referred to discarding the system caches's, with Cocktail or whatever
> utility. I did this and it ended my problem.

Exactly.  I have used PCMCIA card readers without fail through many versions
of OS 8, 9 and then OS X, starting the betas through Panther on numerous
various Powerbooks, including the Ti in question.   NO problems at all with
either the disk appearing or with dismounting the disk.  BUT, on a friend's
book, he had the same issues that Steve reported, and that you reported, and
in utilizing Cocktail, discarding the system cache, his problems were
corrected.  These issues have been a reported problem in OS X, many people
have had various issues, but in Panther, it has not been such an issue.  I
would try discarding the system cache and/or upgrade to Panther and that
will more than likely correct your problem.