No BlueTooth Hardware found (!) :-(

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Feb 18 13:58:05 PST 2004

(without looking in too much detail) I downloaded the Bluetooth
Updater 1.3.4, only to find, when I tried to install it, that it is
only for 10.2.8 (whereas I am running 10.3.2 on my 1.25G4, so I
should have downloaded the 1.5 update, which I must have missed, the
other week when it was released).

So I then downloaded and ran the 1.5 update.

Then I noticed that the top menu has the Bluetooth icon greyed out,
and says: BlueTooth not available

There is no BlueTooth icon in the System Preferences pane.

The Address Book Bluetooth icon has disapppeared.

I ran all the BlueTooth utilities, and they all said "No BlueTooth
Hardware found" !

I Repaired disk permisssions, ran Cocktail 3.4.3.  Restarted the Powerbook.

I even tried installing the Firnware update, but it said that I do
not have BlueTooth installed....!

WHERE has my Bluetooth hardware gone, since this morning ???

It has just disappeared without trace.....

I downloaded the 1.5 update and installed it again, and restarted,
but no change.

Does anyone have an idea of what has happened here?

How can I recover my "lost" (= undetected) hardware ?

I have just tried again to run the Firmware update but it says that I
have no Bluetooth, and now the Progress spiral is just turning and
turning......  The Quit option is grey and there is no Red button or
menu. so I seem stuck now, maybe watching this spiral turning all
night long, until something times out and I get an option to quit or
stop.

regards,  Trevor