[Ti] Cinema Display power button mauled by Panther

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Sun Jan 4 18:06:44 PST 2004

Out of curiosity, what do you need the power button for anyway?
There's almost no point to shutting down your computer any more
(especially with OS X), and to wake it from sleep, just hitting a key
will do nicely.  As far as the eject key goes, it is not supposed to
eject disk images; only CDs.  Its behavior did change a while back (I
believe it changed from ejecting all CDs to only ejecting CDs in
internal drives).  For people's enlightenment, if you want the power
button to bring up a shut down dialog, you can just press control-eject
on a newer keyboard.  You might need to hold this briefly; the eject
key has a 1/4 second acceptance delay to prevent accidentally ejecting
disks.

Anyway, sounds like perhaps it's just an OS bug; try the display with a
different computer and a different OS, if you can.  It's possible that
it's a hardware problem, but not likely.  You could just wait for a few
more OS updates and see if any of them fix it.  If you have AppleCare,
you can also try calling Apple and see if they have any suggestions.

Actually, better yet, just send me your cinema display (please include
the DVI to ADC adapter, I don't have one).  I'll even pay for shipping.
  I'll test it out, and I'll let you know the instant I have it working
again.  Oh, and don't bother trying to call me or E-mail; I just get so
absorbed in fixing things like that that one might almost think that I
had disappeared off the face of the planet with his
multi-thousand-dollar display.  Rest assured, I'll have it back to you
as soon as I'm confident it's fixed.
;-)