[Ti] Comparison of 15" Ti vs. 15" Al PowerBook?

warwick teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Thu Jan 8 22:41:03 PST 2004

Hi Chris, I'd like to offer some comments as a Ti667 Rev2 AND a
Aluminium 15inch PB owner (and  12inchALPB).

Overall:
- the 15inchPBAL is far superior in throughput, feel and durability....
glad I bought it.
- the Ti667 is somewhat fragile and lower throughput as you'd expect -
(a Dec 2001 model)

Whats's good?

- AL15's better resolution, faster throughput, backlit keyboard, much
better feel, doesn't have paint flake from sweaty hands, far more
durable for travelling (especially through airports), much better
airport connectivity [range] (despite .11g), to hot. spots and hotels
(ipass etc), lineout, FW2 (well when I get some externals DDM's)..
superdrive. biklt in BLUETOOTH,  etc etc.

- Ti667 - 4.5 hour battery life, VGA attachment for projectors

Whats' bad:

- AL15's, lousy blotchy screen (this is the second one) - coming up for
a 3rd on Tuesday via warranty, initial lousy lid attachment (wouldn't
close - but foxed it wit replacement screen), failed BLUETOOTH board 9
4 weeks old), lousy battery life (2.3 hours with what ever I can think
off disabled) - need extra batteries for long haul flights, seems
heavier than TI667, have to carry external VIDEO VGA attachment around
[bad if you leave it at home and no  y/c cable or input on projector).

- TI667: well where to start... very fragile (I have two plastic
"bodies" replaced), very bad paint peeling and really awful look after
to use where your hands have been resting on it; lots of scratches and
dings on it from 2 years+ through airports (u.s. is the worst place),
two failed [replaced 2 DVD-R's), out of warranty so could not get a
3rd; cracked hinge (replaced); great at the time, but would not go
there again. The Ti667 is still in use as a network renderer and a
print spooler and also an itunes player...