[Ti] Comparison of 15" Ti vs. 15" Al PowerBook?

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Thu Jan 8 23:56:06 PST 2004

on 1/8/04 9:59 PM, Chris Cargen at chris at hospitalityamerica.com wrote:

> I own a 15" 1 Ghz Titanium PowerBook.
>
> Now that the early adopter screen blotch issues of the 15" Al PowerBook
> appear to have been resolved, I have a mild case of upgradititis.
>
> Is there anyone who used to own a 15" 1 Ghz Titanium PowerBook who now owns
> a 15" 1.25 Ghz Al PowerBook that would be willing to comment on what they
> prefer about the Al 15" PowerBook or miss about the 15" Ti PowerBook?

Just traded in my PBG4/500 for a 1.25 GHz.  I've had it one week today.

> Especially relative fan noise?

The fans on the AlBook are *quiet* (when they come on).  They are more like
a whisper.  You could really tell when the TiBook fan came on.

> Relative speed?

"Feels" about 3 times faster.

> Tactile feel of keyboard?

The keyboard feels like it has a slightly longer "throw" than the TiBook.

> Durability?

Definitely feels more durable, it is definitely heavier.

> Anything else?

The keyboard has a different layout -- there are two Cmd keys, the enter key
is smaller, and the keyboard seems slightly narrower (the keys on the far
right of the keyboard seem smaller), but it doesn't seem to cause too much
trouble.  Perhaps it is just the illusion that the keyboard is smaller, as
the keys on the left and right edges of the keyboard aren't chamfered at the
same angle as the rest of the keys.

I enjoyed working on the old PBG4, and delivered a lot of software for
Austin-Soft on it, and I'm looking forward to releasing even more on the new
machine.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver