[Ti] Intro To Wi-Fi

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sat Jan 10 20:53:29 PST 2004

>I would like to set up a wireless network at home using a DSL line so I can
>access the internet using my Tibook. My question is: do I need a base
>station (Mac or PC) to configure and transmit the wireless signal, or is
>possible to connect the Airport and configure it directly through the
>hub/router?

Only if the hub/router is a wireless one.  While a TiBook w/airport
card can be set as a base station to share its connection with other
wireless computer, it either must be hardwired to the source or the
source must be broadcasting wifi.  The Airport base is cool looking
and an Apple product, but there are wireless routers and hubs that
have better range, features and work fine with airport cards at about
a third or even a quarter of the cost of the Airport base.

I am using a D-Link wireless router that also has 4 ethernet ports
(Airport Xtreme has one) and two external antennae, giving me a 350
foot range as oppose to AXB's 150 foot range.  This wireless router
was $70.  I have a wireless bridge to my home-office which is in a
separate building about 60 feet from my house; there are 2 computers
in the office run from a hub attached to the wireless device; in my
house I have one wireless and three wired on the network. The D-Link
handles all effortlessly.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com