[Ti] Intro To Wi-Fi

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sun Jan 11 06:07:29 PST 2004

At 08:38 +0400 11/1/04, S. Moussly wrote:
>I would like to set up a wireless network at home using a DSL line so I can
>access the internet using my Tibook. My question is: do I need a base
>station (Mac or PC) to configure and transmit the wireless signal, or is
>possible to connect the Airport and configure it directly through the
>hub/router?

Sam - this is what I had to do, to set up a wireless network in our
small office in Geneva Switzerland:

(I believe I posted specific details on this list, quite some time
ago, so I only give an outline/generic statement below)

My purpose was to provide wireless internet access for the 4
partners.  I had a Ti-500, everyone else had a PC laptop.  I bought
an airport card for my Ti-500.

1. I ordered an analogue line in to the office (all the lines to the
PBX were digital)
2. connected this line to an ADSL modem.
3. configured the modem by connecting my Ti-500 to it with an
ethernet cable and typing in the IP address/url found in the
instruction booklet in to my browser.  Everything else was a matter
of following the instructions.
4. bought a wireless transmitter (equivalent to a base station)
5. connected  the transmitter by ethernet cable to the modem

Opened the Ti-500, which detected the wireless network immediately.
I think I had to define a few things, but basically I was then on-line.

It basically took a few days to get the idea in my mind of what I was
trying to do, and then implementing it step by step.

As far as I know, we have never had to change or modify anything ever
since I set it up.

I REALLY miss network connectivity, being based right now in Saudi
Arabia.  All those ugly wires.....
I have proposed that we set up my office as a wireless hot spot, as a
prototype for the college.

Setting up a WiFi connection moves you out of your comfort zone for a
while, but it is fulfilling to make such a technological leap forward
in a short time.  I am sure you can manage it.  We have!

regards,  Trevor