Panther

gwallace gwallace at gwi.net
Sun Jan 11 06:06:49 PST 2004

My apologies to the list if you've already covered this topic; I've
recently re-subscribed after being absent for a year or so.  I have an
original G4 Powerbook 400 running OS 10.2.6.  I've not run the latest
update because until last week I only had 256 MB of memory and it
seemed to be doing fine without updating.  But I swapped one of the 128
MB memory chips for a 512 MB and now my question is, should I update to
10.2.8, or should I move to "Panther"?  My new G4 iBook at work came
with Panther and I like some of the new features and it seems to do
some routine tasks faster that my previous work computer, a G3 800mhz
iBook, even though the new iBook only has 256 MB of memory compared to
640 for the G3.  Does anyone have experience installing the newest
software on one of the original TiBooks? Does Panther use memory
differently?  I'd appreciate hearing your experiences.