Ti hinges (again !)

Georges Vandeputte g.vandeputte at advalvas.be
Sun Jan 11 05:54:38 PST 2004

About a year ago I posted a comment after both hinges of my Ti550
snapped inside the screen case.
After a long while, Apple replaced the whole screen unit under warranty
(the Ti was then 11 months).
By the time the unit came back, Apple refused to accept a subscription
for Apple Care (>12 months !)
Now, a year after all this, the left hinge snapped again (same sh**) !

I'm pessimistic about Apple's reaction this time ;-(((   Ain't I right ?
Should I try to fiddle my own - ugly - repair ?
This hinge problem indicates clearly a conceptual default. Is there
really no action to take against Apple ?

If I'm really in the problem I think I am, should I consider purchasing
a new Powerbook ?
The 17" Al is quite tempting, but wouldn't I encounter similar quality
problems after a year or so ?

Thanks for your advice !

G. Vandeputte
Brussels, Belgium