[Ti] Intro To Wi-Fi

John simplymail at ururk.com
Sun Jan 11 11:25:41 PST 2004

> I would like to set up a wireless network at home using a DSL line so
> I can
> access the internet using my Tibook. My question is: do I need a base
> station (Mac or PC) to configure and transmit the wireless signal, or
> is
> possible to connect the Airport and configure it directly through the
> hub/router?

You can use an Airport base station for this, however...

I went the cheaper route and bought a Netgear MR814 for 30 dollars
(USA) at Best Buy. It had two rebates going for it, so it was a pretty
good deal. It has a web interface, where you can control it (Safari
compatible). You can limit access to your router based on the airport
cards mac address. So, basically, you can only allow YOUR airport card
to access it, and not your neighbors (if the range is that far). It
also (like many wireless routers) has a 4 port switch, allowing up to 4
other wired ethernet connections.

A few points:

make sure your provider allows you to have this kind of setup. I have
read (but not experienced) that people have had issues setting up a
network like this with a cable modem, usually Comcast. You have DSL,
which may have different agreements.

Think of where you are going to put it - not all routers are wall
mountable.