[Ti] Ti hinges (again !)

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Sun Jan 11 13:31:06 PST 2004

Why didn't you buy the AppleCare while the machine was being repaired?
Personally, I recommend AppleCare on any portable; they tend to break
more easily than a desktop, and they're more expensive to repair.
I find it unusual that the hinge broke; I work for an Apple Authorized
Service Provider, and I can't think of a single occasion when somebody
has come in with a broken hinge that isn't obviously due to dropping
the computer or other similar abuse.  Those hinges are normally very
strong.  Even of the dropped machines we get, a broken hinge is
unusual; more often the LCD cracks or the DC plug is broken or the case
is dented or whatever.
Anyway, you might actually have to take your computer apart to figure
out what all is broken in it, but it would probably be expensive to
repair, even if you buy the parts used online.  It wouldn't be a bad
idea to consider a new PowerBook.  They use a very different hinge
design, which is probably even stronger.  So far, except for the white
spots on the 15" LCD, I haven't really seen any common problems with
any of the Aluminum PowerBooks.  However, I'd still recommend the
AppleCare.  And a good carrying case.