[Ti] File Permissions, etc

cbirds cbirds at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 13 10:30:15 PST 2004

Thanks for replying...

On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 01:25  PM, Michael Bigley wrote:

> This sounds like more than a permissions issue, but it is a good place
> to start.  You can run the permissions repair from Terminal. Enter
> this command:
>
> diskutil repairPermissions /

*I* could but I am not there physically to do it and not sure I want
him to do it as a rank newbie. One false move and you know the rest of
the story........

> keep repeating that until it doesn't repair anything.  Then restart
> the computer.  It fixes many things.  If his Disk Utility app has
> "disappeared" there may be other things amiss that repairing
> permissions won't help at all.

I am confident that when he says he did not remove  any files, that he
is correct.

>   However, after repairing permissions you may find searching works
> better, as finder may be skipping directories it doesn't have
> "permission" to search.  Also, if he has multiple users on the boxen,
> another user may have put the app in one of their folders that is not
> allowed access by Find or anything else.

I think he is the only account/user.
How about updating to 10.2.8 again? I think he got the first one that
was pulled......