[Ti] Powerbook problems

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Jan 14 01:22:52 PST 2004

At 9:59 AM -0600 1/13/04, Gonzalo Hernández Araujo wrote:
>Just wanted to know if someone on the list has
>experienced similar problems and if so how
>he/she solved them. I still don't know what
>could be causing all my problems. I have a Ti
>1Ghz DVI model with 10.3.2,

Gonzalo - sorry to hear about these problems.
All I can say is that I am running 10.3.2 on my
15.2" Powerbook G4/FW800 and I have never seen
anything like what you describe. In general, it
runs pretty well, so I have few problems.  I
cannot really help in any way.  There are others
on the list who could probably explain the origin
of that screen dump, and what it might mean.  In
the early days of X, I had a kernel panic nearly
every day on the Ti-500 that I had then, and
several people were able to help me at least
identify the source of the problem (was my ISDN
card in the PC card slot).

I suggest that this should be your main
objective: to precisely define what is your
problem, and its origin.  Once defined, a
solution may be easier to find.  You seem to have
carried out some systematic work that should help
in the identification: for example, you report
that "clean OS install does not solve problem",
which suggests that it is not any OS corruption.

When you say that the lines appear when you move
the book, that sounds like a hardware (eg loose
connection) issue to me.  But the fact that you
did not get it with OS9 shows that it is not
quite that simple.  So maybe some part of OS X is
more sensitive than OS 9 is to some hardware
issue (I am just brainstorming here).

Please note that my Powerbook screen stays black
for 20 seconds after startup, before anything
appears (as I reported recently).  This seems
"normal".

I am doing a lot of document (Word) processing
these days (exam papers, etc) and I have had Word
hang a few times, giving the spinning beach ball,
persisting for many minutes.  Even Force Quit
would not get me out of this problem.  I needed
to restart.  This is about the extent of my
problems!

Please let us know how your investigation
proceeds, because this is always a valuable proxy
learning experience for the List.

regards,  Trevor