[Ti] Question marks on the Dock

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Jan 21 17:45:38 PST 2004

Ted Greer typed this message on 1/21/04 3:58 PM:

> After I installed 10.3 a couple of the icons on the dock changed to big
> translucent question marks that don't do anything and can't be dragged
> to the trash.
> Any ideas?

This means you have alias' in your dock that are orphans. They were probably
orphans in 10.2, but Jaguar let them exist with their original icons. You
probably trashed the original applications and replaced them with updated
versions. When you installed 10.3, the system optimized itself and found
this bunch of orphaned alias' in the dock and allocated them the "?" icon.

To remove them, just drag them out of the dock and release them onto the
desktop. Then will vanish in a puff of smoke. You then need to find the
applications that they were supposed to represent and drag them back into
the dock.

jg