X 1.3 upgrade from marketing?

Daniel Rubinstein shardaeek at fmail.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 10:07:38 PST 2004

Like many others i was eagerly awaiting the arrival of "Panther",
counting the seconds on the Apple website, looking at the tantalizing
screen shoots and reading the reviews of the lucky ones who got their
hands on the upgrade before everyone else. I was expecting something as
spectacular as the upgrade from X.1 to X.2, which made me recommend OS
X to everyone who didn't make the move yet.
And yet, three month after the smooth transition to X.3 i am feeling
that i took part in an event of mass self-hypnosis, as the hype sinks
down, what remains is a big hole in the place where the enthusiasm and
anticipation used to reside.

Is it only me, or others too find X.3 relatively useless upgrade? I
been working daily on my PB 550 with 768 RAM every day since the
upgrade, and I don't find myself using most of the new features that
X.3 was celebrated for. Sure there are some nice things, for one I now
type this message in Mail, which became my favorite email app. and
Entourage is not raising its slow and ugly head any  more. But the
price of a system upgrade for a dissent email application? it is a bit
rich even for a MAC enthusiast.
On the down side, my scanner (Canon 9900F ) now works only when logged
in as an administrator which is annoying and disrupting to my workflow.
Canon tech support are telling me the the drivers for OX X.3 are not
released yet, which is fair enough, but i didn't have this problem with
X.2
The only use i have for the celebrated Expose is exposing the finder
without moving windows around. Something you can do in Windows OS by
simply pressing the Windows button and D, since Win95. And yes, the
finder is more useable now, but it only makes me feel that i was
participating in Beta testing all along.
My partner has a G3 ibook, and wile it was running reasonably under X.2
with the pre-installed 127MB of RAM, after installing  X.3, it is  in
dire need of a 512 stick, which will add another £100 to the price of
the upgrade. Which means paying extra just in order to keep the old
functionality.
Apple's shameless slogan for X.3 was "it is like having a brand new
mac" - what a lot of rubbish! Clever marketing for a mostly cosmetic
upgrade.

Hardly surprising, of-course, Apple is as much about profit as any
spaghetti-O manufacturer, and why should they try to give me good value
for money if Flash animations and strategically placed advertorials
will make me part with my cash anyway.

Hasta laVista Apple, See you at OS X.4

Daniel Rubinstein