Panther Server problem

S. Moussly sam at moussly.com
Mon Jan 26 03:47:00 PST 2004

Having problems attempting to login to Panther server with panther client. I
think it may be an LDAP problem.
I've setup the client to DHCP to the server and set the server as the LDAP
in directory info on the client. the accounts are definatly in the LDAP node
in workgroup admin on the server and as far as I know, all needed services
are running (DHCP, open directory as MDC. not other services on the server
are running such as NAT. but I did give that a try... the client looks to
the server as a DHCP server and the server registers the clients in the
Clients tab (in DHCP)- maybe I should be using bootp? but that doesn't seem
to work. I've even double checked the key strings in the terminal with the
ones that the LDAP has... they are identical. at this point, all I want to
do, is login to the server and mount the network drives.. gain access to
LDAP user files on the server, but still have access to local files on the
client. all the computers go to a router using 10.0.X.X on a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0, and the DHCP on the server is set to that as well.
the Mac os x server IP is 10.0.0.100, and the ODM search base is
"dc=10,dc=0,dc=0,dc=100" tried also, "dc=apple,dc=server" and
"dc=users,dc=apple,dc=server" as the open directory server address is
icarus.apple.server... (kerberos ICARUS.APPLE.SERVER)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks :)

Sam