[Ti] CD writing software that's smart?

Tom Warner tom at dfind.com
Mon Jan 26 15:47:30 PST 2004

On 26 Jan 2004, at 11:07 pm, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> Please tell me what is Apple's motivation for tying Backup to .mac.

It's one of the products offered, like email address, anti-virus

> If I'm to Backup to CD why should I need a .mac account to do that?

You don't! Why would you think you do?

I don't have a .Mac account and I can backup to CD.

If you are saying: 'Why should I need a .Mac account to use 'Backup'
the product?' Then the answer is because you need a .Mac account to use
the services that come only with a .Mac account.

It's like saying: 'Why should I need a .Mac account to use a .Mac email
address?'

Face it. 'Backup' the _product_ is tied to a .Mac account.

> What happens if I backup using Backup with a valid .mac subscription
> and I choose to cancel the subscription and then want to do a restore
> at a later date?

That's really something you need to ask them. Have you gone to Backup
Help which is available when Backup is running? I'll wager there's a
simple answer.

But I reckon you're smart enough to remove your data before you loose
access.

That's all I have to say about this.
Tom
--