[Ti] iTunes bypassing Canada [OT - RANT]

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclife.com
Thu Jul 1 12:34:11 PDT 2004

On 7/1/04 12:35 PM, "John Griffin" <jwegriffin at mac.com> wrote:

> Shawn King typed this message on 6/30/04 3:18 PM:
>
>> As for iTunes, that's a matter of who controls the music industry - in
>> Canada, it's a disparate group of people Apple has to deal with. In China,
>> it's the government that controls everything.
>
> The licensing argument is rather specious at best. Why are there over a
> dozen Windows based music download sites now running out of Toronto
> (PureTracks, Wal*Mart, Bell, etc.) and not a peep from the authors of iTunes
> in Cupertino?

Because the rules for those services are different.

Apple has been very clear in the kind of service it wants to provide.
Perhaps the Canadian labels don't want to participate under Apple's "rules".

> And for the Apple store when I think of it there is not a great loss here.
> There are plenty of Apple Retail stores in Toronto that would give Apple a
> hard time in competition. Probably this is the real reason Apple is staying
> out.

Not likely. There have been plenty of good retailers in the States that have
been hurt or even driven out of business by Apple stores in their vicinity.
--
Shawn King
Your Mac Life