[Ti] Soft Beep from Ti

Arjan Bos arjan.bos at hetnet.nl
Fri Jul 2 12:56:26 PDT 2004

On 2 jul 2004, at 18:38, Melinda Stamp wrote:

> I'm hearing a soft beep coming from inside my TiBook 667 about every 3
> seconds.  I noticed this about a month ago, but I don't know exactly
> how
> long it's been going on.  Restarts have no effect --  the beep starts
> again as soon as it's done booting.  I also have problems with my combo
> drive not reading some disks -- could they be related?
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.
Hi Melinda,

I've got the same TiBook, but without the beeping.

There are numerous possibilities that can cause it. First of all, what
OS are you running? Are you still on OS9 or on OSX? If on OSX, which
one? This matters, cause it might help in finding out your problem.

Let's assume you run OSX. If you create a new user and log in to that
new account, while being logged out of your normal account, does the
beeping still occur? If it stopped, then it's quite likely that some
preference file is corrupt, or that a program that causes the beep is
not started.

Did you by change install any programs around a month back? One of
these might be the culprit.

Does it always beep, or only when the fan is on?

Is it a mechanical beep, or an electronical one? The first might
indicate the fan or any other moving part in your TiBook, like the hard
drive or optical drive. The second /might/ indicate a program.

Did you try re-installing the OS on a clean drive?

I'm no hardware technician, so can't help you there, but the above
questions might point you in the right direction.

good luck!

Arjan

---
Give anyone a lever long enough and they can change the world. It's
unreliable levers that are the problem.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)