[Ti] Soft Beep from Ti

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Jul 3 07:28:13 PDT 2004

This sounds to me like the processor going into its "nap" mode, for the
curious.  There are certain things that tend to trigger it.  Many
people describe it as a high-pitched whine, but it could be heard as a
beep if it's short enough, I'm sure.  Specifically, I have heard of it
happening most often when connecting to something with SSL (either an
E-mail account or a web page) or sometimes when scrolling.  It's not
technically the HP software, just the functions the HP software is
using.

It is possible to test to see if this is the case, but is much more
effort than most people want to (or should) go through.  If anybody on
the list is interested in trying, you need the CHUD Tools (an optional
part of the Developer Tools CD).  In the Hardware preference pane, turn
off the Nap option.  I wouldn't recommend leaving this off, however, as
it will then chow down on your battery.