[Ti] dead hd in 500mHz ti-book

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Mon Jul 5 03:11:10 PDT 2004

2004-07-04 kl. 20.59 skrev Charles Shere:

> My ti won't boot up. I hear repeated clicking from the vicinity of the
> trackpad. I assume the HD is not reading.
---------
Have you tried to start with the original CD? Have you tried to start
from your Jaguar or Panther CD and from there see if the "Check the
Disk" will talk with your HD? (can be called something else-I have
Swedish version) Have you used the Tool CD which came with your Ti and
checked the hardware that way? Have you tried to start with Shift held
down? With the Space-key down etc?

What I mean is have you made certain it is the HD and not a software
hangup? (I agree the sound may indicate a HD trouble) If you are
thinking of changing the disk you may just open the Ti now and make
certain it isn't some connection which has come loose.

Can you put a firewire between your Ti and another Mac? If you could
make it start in T-mode by holding the T-key during upstart that would
be a big help in trying to reach material on the HD.

> How transfer stuff from the stuck HD? There must be a way to force
> startup from an external drive.
----------
I would think you'll have a better chance getting to the content of the
HD if it is placed in an external box and a working computer trying to
get in contact with it that way.
You may have luck saving dokument from a HD with TechTools or
DiskWarrior. This is something Norton was pretty good at in OS 9 but in
10 it doesn't seem to do the same trick. I do hope you have a recent
backup so you don't loose to many documents. Good luck! :-)

Lisbeth i Göteborg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/> updat 030828
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in Gothenburg)