[Ti] iTunes bypassing Canada [OT - RANT]

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Mon Jul 5 06:27:07 PDT 2004

On 4/7/04 7:19 pm, "T Molnar" <tam at em.ca> wrote (in part):

> I generally agree with Murray's observation that something is Whacky
> with the Apple-Canada connection as it concerns iTunes and pricing
> generally

A few points to consider if you wish;

-iTMS is only available in 3 of the 26 EU countries
-The delay from the US Store launch was a year
-The total population of the US is ca. 291 Million and they sold ca. 1
million songs in the first week
-The total population of the three EU countries where the store was released
is 200 Million (60 UK, 60 Fr, 80 Ger) and they sold ca. 800,000 songs in the
first week
-Canada has a population of ca. 30 million
-Japan has a population of ca. 127 Million
-Italy has a population of ca. 57 Million (they must be enjoying far too
much wine and sun to need the iTMS)
-The total population of the new enlarged EU (26 countries) is well over 300
Million and generally has one currency
-The people in one EU country cannot purchase music from the other EU stores
even if the currency is the same!
-Apple will certainly have done its marketing homework when it comes to
where and when it introduces iTMS...to do otherwise would be suicide...Being
Canadian it pains me to say it but there must obviously be bigger more
important fish to land before iTMS comes to the Great North (but I suspect
it will come sometime)
-We all need Apple to make money and gain significant market share in
important countries to allow them to compete in today's corporate
reality...and by going after the large ripe markets first they secure this
financial future which in turn allows them to build new and exciting
machines and software for all of us.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but by all means don't let me stop
you from voicing your opinion or from getting a good whinge off your chest..

...and if I ever do make it back to the promised land I bloody well hope
that they have smartened up and provided iTMS by then...

Cheers,

Richard