[Ti] AirPort Base Station use in Italy

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Jul 5 07:19:55 PDT 2004

On Jul 5, 2004, at 9:06 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> As compared to the US, are there differences in typical ISP networking
> protocols in Italy?
>
> I will be spending many months in Italy and was thinking that it might
> be wiser to purchase the AirPort Base Station there as it might be set
> to default to whatever form of protocols that they use there.
>
> i.e. Some ISPs here use PPPoE, some use DHCP, and some use Static. But
> I think there is some Big Pond ISP that has some other different
> protocols when using DSL or cable.

Networking doesn't speak Italian or English.  It's the same anywhere
you go.  Besides DHCP, PPPoE, or static IP, there's PPP, BootP (not
going to be used by an ISP because it's normally used on diskless
workstations) and some ISP's are now using IPv6 protocols.

Your Airport unit supports them all, no matter where you buy it, with
the possible exception of PPP.  You need a modem-equipped Airport for
that.
--
Chris