[Ti] AirPort Base Station use in Italy

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Mon Jul 5 07:31:34 PDT 2004

>On Jul 5, 2004, at 9:06 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>
>>As compared to the US, are there differences in typical ISP networking protocols in Italy?
>>
>>I will be spending many months in Italy and was thinking that it might be wiser to purchase the AirPort Base Station there as it might be set to default to whatever form of protocols that they use there.
>>
>>i.e. Some ISPs here use PPPoE, some use DHCP, and some use Static. But I think there is some Big Pond ISP that has some other different protocols when using DSL or cable.
>
>Networking doesn't speak Italian or English.  It's the same anywhere you go.

Sorry but no. Different ISPs use different connection protocols. As mentioned above, the Big Pond for instance uses a proprietary connection method that is not compatible with the Apple Base Station. It is a form of PPPoE that is unique to that ISP. Sometimes we Americans need to recognize that the world is sometimes different than us.

--

Robert Ameeti

For every difficult, intricate, complex, perplexing problem there is a simple, elegant, obvious, clear, direct, wrong answer.