[Ti] AirPort Base Station use in Italy

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Jul 5 07:52:34 PDT 2004

On Jul 5, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> Sorry but no. Different ISPs use different connection protocols. As
> mentioned above, the Big Pond for instance uses a proprietary
> connection method that is not compatible with the Apple Base Station.
> It is a form of PPPoE that is unique to that ISP. Sometimes we
> Americans need to recognize that the world is sometimes different than
> us.

Proprietary?  If it's TCP/IP it's not proprietary.  Vinton Cerf and
Robert Kahn invented the TCP protocol in May 1974 and it is the *only*
protocol in use on the internet today for TCP/IP networking.  They may
use proprietary software for user authentication (possible with PPPoE
and PPP), but no Airport is going to support that.  If they only
support Microsoft Universal Virus Sharing, then they won't even offer
the software for Mac or Linux.  Get a different ISP if that's the case.
--
Chris