[Ti] AirPort Base Station use in Italy

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Mon Jul 5 08:07:57 PDT 2004

>On Jul 5, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>
>>Sorry but no. Different ISPs use different connection protocols. As mentioned above, the Big Pond for instance uses a proprietary connection method that is not compatible with the Apple Base Station. It is a form of PPPoE that is unique to that ISP. Sometimes we Americans need to recognize that the world is sometimes different than us.
>
>Proprietary?  If it's TCP/IP it's not proprietary.  Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn invented the TCP protocol in May 1974 and it is the *only* protocol in use on the internet today for TCP/IP networking.

There is more to Internet connectivity than TCP/IP.

>They may use proprietary software for user authentication (possible with PPPoE and PPP), but no Airport is going to support that.

Wrong again. Note that Apple has chosen to support the proprietary AOL connection standards. (Look at the Internet tab in the AirPort Base Station Admin Utility and check out the 'Connect Using' pop down. There are also ISP's that use different methods of connecting via Ethernet. Check out the Ethernet pane when viewing the Built-In Ethernet port. Move the Configure to Manually (Advanced) to see how some users must do a bit more than the Automatic configuration that you are used to. Maximum Packet Size is specifically an item that some US users must deal with as some ISPs DSL uses odd? packet sizes.

I am looking for advice from someone who knows about Italy's ISPs and the method of connection that they use. I am not looking for someone who thinks that the rest of the world does everything like we do.

>  If they only support Microsoft Universal Virus Sharing, then they won't even offer the software for Mac or Linux.  Get a different ISP if that's the case.

Some people don't have a choice. They would have to change to a different continent to get a different ISP.

--

Robert Ameeti

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.