[Ti] Late model Titaniums

b syrflip at verizon.net
Wed Jul 7 16:17:46 PDT 2004

John Griffin paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Peter Krug typed this message on 7/7/04 4:33 PM:
>
>>  In addition to Justin's comments, even the last 1 GHz Ti still has
>>  poor airport reception compared to the iBooks and AluBooks.  But the
>>  AluBooks can't use the Ti-Tote-N-Tilt handle.
>
>Well, my AluBook (a recent one) has much worse Airport reception then my
>earlier 1g TiPb (DVI), so I guess no two are necessarily alike.
>
>The only problem that my earlier 1g TiPB developed was the connector to the
>SuperDrive kept coming loose and I had to squeeze the case at the rear of
>part of the SuperDrive to get it to work. Otherwise it was a very elegant
>piece of equipment.
>
>jg

I'll weigh in with this: I love my 667, but Apple didn't put a simple
circuit-breaker on the Firewire ports until they released the 800. I
fried a port, and would need to do a motherboard swap to get Firewire
back on the port. That sucks, big time. So watch the 667's, that's my
advice . (I was using $40 cables too..)

Also, if you're thinking about upgrading to newer operating systems,
keep a sharp eye on Video RAM. Anything under 64MB is going to be
'semi-useful' when the Tiger comes out, especially regarding Video
Units, or whatever they're calling them.  The 667s come with 16MB,
and there is no upgrade path. Boooo!!!

My next Mac will probably be a desktop, but if I can swing a late,
late model G4 Ti, I'll go that route as a happy second choice.

~flipper