[Ti] Pet Shop Boys + Powerbook

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Sun Jul 11 14:49:09 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 11, 200410:59 AM, the following words from luke
etyrnal at ameritech.net, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>get yourself some G5's and you'll have the most intense music
>production environment you can imagine.

Well, since the subject has been brought up, I'll ask what I've been
wondering about for some time but don't know where to start looking it up.

I would like to be able to have 1 or 2 midi instruments, and a microphone
connected to my PowerBook. I'd like for the sound of the instruments and
microphone to go out to speakers and recorded to an external FireWire
hard drive simultaneously so I can later burn them to CDs. This
discussion makes me think this is possible, but when I mentioned my idea
to my husband, (who is a musician but not at all knowledgeable about
using midi instruments with computers) he said it couldn't be done. I
think it could be done, but I'm not much of a musician though I do have 2
midi instruments; a GEM keyboard and a Yamaha digital drum pad. My
husband and I frequently have friends get together to play mostly various
organs and keyboards - I would like to record some of these sessions.
They usually do the playing because I'd just be an embarrassment, but I'd
love to use my PowerBook to record to CD some of the more memorable sessions.

Any suggestions I could look into? The husband has a lot of natural
musical talent (I'm so jealous) but isn't too keen on spending a lot of
money on computer stuff, so if we could start small while learning the
possibilities, it would be easier to convince him. We have the
instruments, several sets of speakers and amps, microphones and access to
regular midi cables. I'd be willing to start off spending around $200 for
the midi interface. But I'm clueless about the necessary OS X software,
including software to record midi input to sheet music.

--
Is there not
An art, a music, and a stream of words

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.8 * 768 MB Ram *
* Addictions: iTunes * AppleScript * Mike's Cards * FileMaker Pro *