[Ti] Pet Shop Boys + Powerbook

luke etyrnal at ameritech.net
Tue Jul 13 15:39:44 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, July 13, 2004, at 06:13  AM, b wrote:

> I've atually gravitated to Nuendo. But have my choice, depending on
> project, of SX, Nuendo, Logic, or MOTU. Nuendo is great, but most of
> the time I'm in Digital Performer.

nuendo - is that like SX 2 on steroids??

i understand that SX 2 has Nuendo's engine?

> I still think Logic is a bit of a leap for someone new to the whole
> biz (like the original poster). I use Nuendo or Cubase mainly because
> I have several hunded registered VST plugins.

right on - VST plugs...  MMMmmmmm.

> I always considered Cubase to be a "PC app", still do.

didn't used to be...  used to be Atari, then Mac, then PC...  =)

>  I was an Opcode Vision person in the Eighties, and even they were
> very 'MIT-complicated-is-better"-oriented.

well - if all a person wants to do is use their computer like a 2"
multitrack recorder - then simpler IS better...  but back then, you
couldn't convince me in a million years that 16bit DAW's were sounding
good enough yet...

but if you were trying to make music that did not exist in the 'real
world'...  the more complicated the software was - the better...
usually the complex software let you do things that were just not
possible on the 'click-here-to-record' DAW's...

anyway - this is why i use Reason for my main writing tool - the
possibilities are literally endless...

> I switched to Performer, then Digital Performer, for at home work.
> MOTU and Native Instruments (especuially NI), are my favorite things
> in audio.

is Absynth NI?  that synth - ever since it got Granular Synthesis is
THE BOMB!   I would love to slap the Propellerheads for NOT including a
REAL granular synthesizer...  Malstrom is a WEAK implementation of a
granular synth - and what's with no-user-samples ??

=)

> Was born and raised on the Left Coast

i'm sorry...

(kidding)

> , so I tend to favor Western-oriented apps over the MIT Unix, and
> Steinbergs, etc.

in the electronic music world the complexity is an awesome production
tool.

but for Guitar-Drums-Bass-Vox music - the other apps are great.

>  But, I agree completely, it's a matter of taste,

and sometimes it's a matter of first introduction...

>  and I think a lot of the "this vs. that" stuff has to do with people
> being naturally prejudiced in favor of what they themselves use.

sure a plumber is going to prefer his plunger, whilst the Dog Trainer
will prefer the radio-collar =)

> 'Berkeley' Unix is actually better than Sys V (MIT) unix, though, it's
> a 'fact'. <laughs>

amen...

> ~flipper

luke