[Ti] dead SuperDrive?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Jul 28 05:04:26 PDT 2004

At 02:04 -0400 28/7/04, JFL wrote:
>Not being able to suck in a disc sounds like a dead drive,
>especially if the disc isn't catching on the rollers if somehow you
>managed to push it in. Probably the motors have given up. Even
>still, sounds like it was failing you a bit before this problem.
>Time to return it to the Apple Techs to have a new one put in.
>You'll be happy you did.
>________
>>It has not been behaving "perfectly": sometimes it does not read
>>the disk, sometimes it does not write the disk correctly.
>>This evening, the drive will not even "take" a disk.....

I called Apple in Switzerland, they agreed with my diagnosis that the
SuperDrive is dead.

They proposed to send me a newSuperDrive (to arrive within 48 hours
at my house), so that I can take it with my Powerbook to an
authorised repair shop here in Geneva (ART Computer), get them to
change it (under warranty), and get them to send the old drive back
to Apple within 10 days.   Sounds like a great arrangement to me.

>I hate it when things break -- feels like someone decided to tear
>the last 10 pages out of a novel you're almost done with.

Now I feel that someone has given me back the 10 pages.......

>You might also have trouble putting in a CD if there's one already
>"stuck" in there.

I would agree, but I do not think there is anything in there!  I
restarted with Open Firmware ALT-CMD-O-F and typed "eject cd", to no
avail.  No sound of mechanical movement.

regards,  Trevor