[Ti] MASSIVE Virtual PC hard drive

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Wed Jul 28 15:31:35 PDT 2004

At 14:57 -0700 28/7/04, Glenn L. Austin wrote:
>on 7/28/04 2:28 PM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley at hutley at geneva-link.ch wrote:
>

>>  I am running Virtual PC 6, running Windows XP, on my G4 Al-book.
>>
>>  I have noticed that the (expandable) boot drive has expanded to a
>>  massive 5.27 Gb !!
>>
>>  Has anyone else noticed this ?  What can I do to get this back to a
>>  "reasonable" size ?   Is this another kind of creeping Windows
>>  phenomenon, that the Virtual PC drive eventually takes over your
>>  Powerbook hard drive ?!!
>
>XP uses more memory than earlier versions, and runs really well on a 512MB
>machine, which means that your Powerbook should have 768MB or more of RAM.

Glenn - I have 1 Gb of RAM in my Powerbook.

>If you have less than that, then XP needs to expand its swap file if you run
>a lot of XP applications (or one that takes a lot of RAM).

I use VPC with very few applications.  Mostly with IE for sites that
are not yet Mac compatible (chiefly, banking ones).

>Also make sure that you've got recent (this week!) virus detection running,
>and check your VPC for spyware.

Are you suggesting that there could be a virus causing this masssive
drive expansion ?
I have  Virex on my Powerbook, but nothing on my VPC (thinking: there
is no way for any virus to transfer from a PC to a Mac, and that I
use VPC only perhaps once a day for a short time, and never for
email, so I assumed my chance of virus attack was virtually zero.)

regards,  Trevor