[Ti] MASSIVE Virtual PC hard drive

b syrflip at verizon.net
Wed Jul 28 18:44:32 PDT 2004

Glenn L. Austin paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>My VPC has even been affected by other Wintel machines on the network, just
>by connecting to the network.  I just hope that M$ finally is able to shut
>down all of the holes in the OS -- one day.

Microsoft can't do anything about it all anymore. They're past the
point of diminishing returns, wherein one 'fix' opens up multiple
additional vulnerabilities.

The internet, and cheap dial-up, and cheap intel boxes all adss up to
one thing: phenomenal, exponential growth in PC users in the least
likely population to be security 'savvy'.. newbies. it's not their
fault.

Next up the chain comes the local WANs and small to medium large
corporate nets... and the IT/Sys Admins, there, are more and more
reluctant to just download/install a 'patch' every 3 days, or
whatever it is that they come out.  A small net is 'mission critical'
to the people whose livelihoods are hooked into it, so, jeoparding a
functioning system because of 'email' viruses, or some 'arcane IIS
problem, isn't in the cards, or 'automatic', the way it once was.

There's only two groups of PC users that are probably adequately
inoculated, at any given time: Internet backbone Sys Admins (and they
get hit regularly, hence the 'public' nature of some of the more
serious flaws, or 'vulnerabilities', and guys like me, excessively
paranoid, loaded to the gills with anti-hacker/cracker/spy/adware/
port-blocking, etc...

One piece of anti-trojan scanning app. and a "Little Snitch"-like
utility will keep any PC from spreading anything harmful... but when
'free' screensavers and wallpaper, and free 'credit checks', etc, are
packing software that dials papua ne Guinea, in the background, and
getting massive phone bills and crap like that... it's amazing the
web still works at all..

People open the door (port) a crack, and the next thing you know ...
the boogeyman's in the house. people predict the fall of Apple, and
assume there'll 'always be Microsoft, but who knows? The military is
bailing out on MS...foreign gov'ts are really leery.... there's
probably ten world-class programmers in India/China for every AOL
user.. heheh, it could get real interesting from here on out.

I've only had two very minor adware probs in VPC in years. The
utilities are out there, people have to use them. Meanwhile, the
Yahoos, and ATTs, and other corporate 'backbone types are
transmitting what? 70% SPAM? why? Doesn't that impinge on available
bandwidth? That wouldn't artificially keep the 'cost' of bandwidth
high, would it?

It's a mess. Oh, Trevor, go to your home Library/Prefs, check out the
"Windows Applications" folder in Virtual PC 6 preferences, and see
what's listed there. Maybe you're running more apps than you think.
Also, get a copy of System Suite, or Super Utilities, and trash your
temp files, do the Windoze clean up business, you'd be surprised how
much bloat there is...

~flipper