[Ti] Poll 19

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Tue Jun 1 14:53:16 PDT 2004

On 1/6/04 6:32 pm, "Kynan Shook" <kshook at cae.wisc.edu> wrote (in part):

> I think what the next design step needs to
> be is a folding screen; when you lift the lid for the computer, you can
> then fold out a couple of wings on the screen (or they'd fold or extend
> out from the sides of the screen automatically), providing additional
> LCD space.

I believe its been done already or at least something similar. IBM, if I can
remember correctly, I saw an example at one of the American Meteorological
Society Annual Meetings (I think it was 2001 in Albuquerque), they were
using a technology that essentially was three large TFT's (I believe
physically) connected seamlessly and were on about a 25 degree angle to the
centre screen. They were presenting global climate models and it was also
supposed to provide better three dimensional effects for cloud layers,
terrain, etc...

I think the screen size was rather large (each panel) at something like 42"
for the centre and 23" panels on the sides (been awhile so may have been
slightly different).

It was TFT heaven.

Not sure why it never took off...

Cheers,