Microsnot + Bell = Canada's new monopoly [OT]

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Thu Jun 10 13:51:08 PDT 2004

I just read the business section of the Toronto Star. There is an
announcement that Bell Canada (Canada's monopoly) and Microsoft (America's
monopoly) are teaming up to create a massive broadband portal for telephone,
Internet, TV service, etc. Every home will be able to subscribe since Bell
controls all the infrastructure for landline phone service.

However, if you have a Macintosh or Linux machine, forget it! Mac and Linux
are being blocked by this new technology.

I fail to understand how this got through to the hearing stage with CRTC.
Perhaps we are not as attuned to the evils of monopolies as are Americans.
If we were, I doubt such a proposal would have ever got off the ground.

jg