[Ti] iTunes 4.6...

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 10 16:21:02 PDT 2004

Peter Krug paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>The worst thing about iTunes, IMHO, is that the intended sound
>quality of music will be lost on the listeners as they reduce
>bitrates to try to cram more music on computers and devices.
>
>Peter

I agree, sort of... exept, who is 'they'?

The sound quality issue has nothing to do with iTunes, Apple, or any
company, at all. It has to do with the format: mp3, and the users who
choose to use mp3s.

Ex:  Mp3: Bit rate: 256Kbits/s, stereo, LP time: 52.2 minutes, mp3
Size in MB: 95.9

<cough> uncompressed, as it left the studio (10 MB per stereo
minute): Size: 522 MB

Difference: The mp3 contains exactly 18.4% of the original material.
"Compressed" means the same thing here, as it does in digital photo
manipulation. 'Repetitive' info is weeded out. Loss of quality, plain
and simple. Anyone (like myself), who might have done serious 'time'
in recording studios, can hear the 'trainwreck' in the mids, and
upper mids, that is prevalent in mp3s. Less 'definition' Similar
frequencies forced into narrower bands. it's a mess.

Using iTunes, or the iPod, there's nothing stopping anyone from
sampling their CDs at 44.1 khz, in .wav, or .aiff formats. And with
the newer, larger drive, iPods... well, if I ever get one of the 30
or newer 40s, that'll be it for mp3s, it'll be back to good old
10MB/stereo minute. Even the 5GB iPod should hold 150-200 songs at
full bandwidth.

~flipper