TiArmor

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Thu Jun 10 20:25:24 PDT 2004

I finally got my TiArmor from Vix Inc. today.  Here is the review that was
requested.

I got the "Palm Rest" and the "Cover" for the 15-inch alumninum powerbook.

Both are quite thick, about 0.6 mm.  They are quite soft, and I would
describe them more as TiPadding than TiArmor.  The Palm Rests are
translucent so you can definitely see that they are there.  Also, they seem
quite removeable, not as removeable as a Post-It note, but not as sticky as
actual tape.  Probably about the right sticky-ness.

The Palm Rests may inhibit cooling some.  We'll see if my fan runs more.

The main drawback is that neither of them cover the edges of the Powerbook,
which is, I feel, the part most susceptible to damage.  Particularly
vulnerable is the bottom edge of the screen cover which can touch the
tabletop when the Powerbook is opened, and the top edge, which can hit my
bookshelf.

The translucent Palm Rests say "3M" on their peel-back backing.  Apparently
Mr. Vix has made some dies to cut this stuff.  I think I'm going to check at
a local plastics shop to see if I can find something similar.  I won't be
able to cut it as straight as Mr. Vix, but I'd like slightly bigger pieces,
to protect the edges.

Jerry