[Ti] iTunes 4.6... [OT]

Christopher Murphy chris at fallt.com
Thu Jun 10 21:29:41 PDT 2004

Dear All,

Thanks so much for all the replies to my topic, they're certainly proving
helpful and will feed into a project and series of lectures I run at the
University here in Belfast.

One small, but important issue related to Peter's points about the nail in
the coffin of artwork being the shift from LP to CD...

I think this is a common misconception. Certainly the shift from the wide
open expanse of the LP to the narrow confines of the CD forced designers
to reconsider how they approach packaging, however, it did not signal an end
to many of the types of creativity in packaging mentioned.

Yes, re-releases of Led Zeppelin, Yes and other classic bands' LPs in CD
form tend to lose the 'extras' (this is largely a by-product of record
companies trying to streamline packaging in an effort to squeeze more money
out of classic releases), however, many new releases - especially those by
smaller, independent labels push the packaging envelope to it's limits.

Taylor Deupree, designer and owner of 12k (a small New York based label
available on iTunes) has created some of the most beautiful jewel-like
packages I've seen in a long time. In particular a CD package for a
compilation that was die-cut to resemble an old 5 1/4 inch large floppy.

Sonic Youth member Thurston Moore released a CD five or sex years ago
packaged creatively in a hoover bag and I can think of many other examples,
most exploiting the intimate and jewel-like qualities of the 'jewel' case.

The problem is that most of these releases are by small labels and artists'
collectives who are willing to sacrifice profit for the sake of beautifully
considered artwork and packaging and, by virtue of being small (and often
short run) barely register on the commercial radar.

Perhaps if some of the more mainstream labels were to, once again, invest in
some of the design we all remember so well we'd reawaken the visual culture
that accompanies music and that we are, I think, in danger of losing.

Thanks again for your thoughts and please do continue to point replies to me
off list.

Best,

Christopher @ Fallt

http://www.fallt.com  |  info at fallt.com