[Ti] iTunes 4.6... [OT]

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Fri Jun 11 03:58:36 PDT 2004

>Sonic Youth member Thurston Moore released a CD five or sex years ago
>packaged creatively in a hoover bag and I can think of many other examples,
>most exploiting the intimate and jewel-like qualities of the 'jewel' case.

It's funny you bring up Sonic Youth.  Their "Dirty" album sports an
interesting picture behind the CD - you have to pull up the part of
the jewel case that holds the CD from the back of the CD (Lewd stuff
with stuffed animals).  I agree that you still can put artwork into
the CD booklets, it just seems to me that you have the same kind of
"compression" there that you are complaining about with the iTunes
cover art.

Maybe if the artists' web sites could somehow recognize that you
owned their music and unlocked a part of the site giving you liner
notes, extra art, etc.  Easy with CD's, not as easy with downloads.
Don't get me wrong - I *love* the CD format.  But then I have 600 of
them and I don't have an iPod.  I have ripped most of them but mostly
just to hedge the longevity bet.  But I also have 300+ LP's.

Can we switch the conversation to the multifold hell that was the
cassette "paperwork"?  Now _that_ was compressed artwork.  8^D

Peter
--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.3.4