[Ti] patenting your idea (was: Poll 19)

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Fri Jun 11 07:17:12 PDT 2004

At 12:32 PM -0500 6/1/04, Kynan Shook wrote:
>the next design step needs to be is a folding screen
>
>Anyway, I should probably go patent my idea if nobody else has already

Some kind of folding screen is a good idea.  I think you could also
use the word extendable.  I think the basic need/idea is to get more
screen real estate than the outward size would suggest.

Unfortunately (I am not a patent lawyer, but I am pretty sure that)
it is not possible to patent an idea, it has to be a novel and useful
invention that has been reduced to practice, and the patent is the
disclosure of how you do that, in exchange for which you get the
exclusive right to practise the invention for 20 years.

Trevor