[Ti] Microsnot + Bell = Canada's new monopoly [OT]

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Fri Jun 11 15:40:22 PDT 2004

on 6/10/04 4:52 PM, b at fl1pper at earthlink.net wrote:

> I wouldn't equate the genesis of canada's amazing
> coast-to-coast-to-coast communications system and microsoft's
> monopoly based on malicious usage of proprietary formats, unfair
> competition, extortionist distribution practices, 'bundling', and
> general war on innovation (buying up small companies and closing them
> down, etc).

The anti-trust trial was not about whether Microsoft was a monopoly (it is),
rather it was about whether Microsoft used their monopoly in operating
systems to gain a monopoly in another area (web browsers).

Microsoft was found guilty of illegally using their monopoly position in one
area to give themselves an advantage of another.  The "penalty" was too late
as the "browser wars" are pretty much over (and I'd like to know who
Microsoft's attorneys are -- the "penalty" for giving software to a
marketplace where they were paying to get into that that marketplace has to
be THE masterpiece of legal maneuvering!).

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver