[Ti] replacement batteries?

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Fri Jun 11 18:49:04 PDT 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 12:14 PM, William Scammell wrote:

> have you been able to test the battery (full drain time) in the second
> machine?

I figured since I already had a supposedly bum battery that I'd go out
on a limb and try to discharge it, then charge it to see if that fixed
it.  I mentioned before that I read of a guy who hooked a car headlight
up to drain it, so I gave it a shot.  I got some alligator clips, 14
gauge automotive wire, and a 55-watt, 12V headlamp.  I read that 14.4V
is actually what goes through a car system so my Ti battery should
power things just about right, what with being 14.4 volts and 61 watts.

Note:  if you try this yourself, please don't hold me responsible for
anything bad that happens.  It worked fine for me but YMMV.

I hooked everything up (and got an eyeful of headlamp) before covering
the lamp with a kitchen pot and letting it run the battery down.  Every
now and then I checked on it and sure enough, the battery meter was
reading less and less.  Eventually (after about 2 hours -- my normal
battery life) the light went out and the battery meter read one
flashing light.  I put it into the Ti, it went amber, and let it charge
for a couple hours.

When I went back to check on it, the light was still amber but the
indicators on the battery were not lit.  They are usually lit when in
the Ti when it is charging.  I pressed a button and they registered
only two of the four lights.  Odd, but definitely an recharge after the
drain.

I tried to power up the laptop, but no luck :-(  Something is still
preventing it from working in my Ti, despite powering 55W car headlamp
for two hours.

I'm stumped... and determined to figure this out.  I just don't think
the battery's dead.  And I hope it's not some obscure problem with my
power unit.

--
Justin R. Miller
incanus at codesorcery.net