traveling overseas need tech advice

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 14 02:54:32 PDT 2004

I travelled around Europe (Netherlands, France, Spain) for about a
month a few years ago, mostly by bike.  My mom and sister each had
digital cameras, and I brought my iBook along to save the pictures to.
It worked very well; we periodically burned CDs to back up the photos.
Occasionally we'd have to fight over outlets as some hostels had very
limited (or poorly placed) electricity.  We didn't really get online at
all while there; but presumably one should be able to find a wireless
hotspot in many cities.  Other options would include connectivity by
cell phone or subscribing to a dial-up service with local numbers
across many countries.  Another method of transferring files to the
internet would be to get a small USB keychain flash drive, and hook it
up to a public computer that's already online - perhaps a library, the
hostels, an internet cafe, or whatever she might stumble across.