[Ti] traveling overseas need tech advice

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Mon Jun 14 05:53:41 PDT 2004

On 14/6/04 3:00 am, "T Molnar" <tam at em.ca> wrote (in part):

> Any of you experienced travelers to Britain and continental europe
> (France, Belgium, Spain etc..)
> please speak up.  Here's my question.

> My daughter plans on traveling for a year in these places (hostels for
> accomodation).

Have you considered the plug adapter and voltage differences as well? I
would be mostly concerned about the weight and value of the items carried
especially if she is going to be spending time in youth hostels...some don't
have individual rooms and / or secure places to store items.

Getting online will be by far and away easiest with internet cafes, as long
as one is prepared to work with MS win products in various OS
languages...Personally took me a while to work things out in Italian on an
unfamiliar OS...

Digital cameras should allow the ability to check the pics immediately as
one never knows if you will be back to take another for a while...using the
Internet cafes and a usb connection should prove acceptable and fairly quick
as well as being less bulky and not too flashy.

One does have to say that the film variety would be nice for several reasons
as well but others have mentioned them already.

Cheers and tell her not to have too good of a time :)

Richard
(A Canadian who came over to look around Europe 14 years ago and still
hasn't made it back...)