[Ti] Slow as molasses lately...

Wilhelm Wanders kaskudoo at freenet.de
Mon Jun 14 05:51:19 PDT 2004

I run a PB G4/400 384MB 10GB OS 10.3 (Panther)

I usually run Mail, Safari, Carrafix (app to control bandwith) and
BitTorrent (Filesharing) simultaneously. Occassionally I run Photoshop
and Golive additionally as well as other heavy duty tasks, like
watching a movie via VLC a.s.o.

When I was running Jaguar I read on the net, that Panther was supposed
to be faster than Jaguar - even on older machines like mine. So I gave
it a try (copying my existing OS on an ext. drive first - as emergency
backup)
and voilà ... it really runs much faster and more reliable. I think it
has much better memory handling (i have a little app telling me how
much RAM i have left unwired/free, 'cause i just have 384 .. which is
far not enough)
Safari can be a pain and a real memory eater .... especially after it
has been open for a while. there are lot of other projects out there
(like firefox), but i still stick with safari, i restart it some more
often .....
after the last update to 10.3.4 apps are opening faster and safari got
a little better i think (behaviour-wise)
all in all ... computer start-up time is faster (35 seconds), shut down
time is way cool with under 10 seconds
i think this will be the last essential OS update for my G4 - but I am
really happy with it running like it does .....
so my recommondation is a clean install of panther =)