[Ti] Disk optimization

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 20:31:58 PDT 2004

J.C. Webber III paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Dejan Sinadinovic wrote:
>>  How bizarre! I can't find any downloadable program for disk
>>  optimization/defragmentation on the internet! Isn't that strange? D.
>>

>You're kidding, right?  OSX is a unix system.  No defrag required
>on unix.  Windoz, yes.  Maybe even MacOS (pre-OSX).  But definitely
>not a unix based OS.

Whoa, now, who's kidding whom here?

Have you ever tried running a 5GB+ installation of say, VPC, when you
have 10 Gigs 'free', and the largest contiguous allocation block is a
few hundred megs? Didn't think so.

Unix, itself is wired to strew files, and it doesn't matter at all,
until you want to do something like edit a video (not a three minute
clip), render some 3D, or (heaven forbid) run a latge (3-CD) game
that is installed,

Speed is over-rated, but, why work (being busy) with files that are
fragged? Whether someone's running batch mods in Photoshop, doing big
Flash sites that require testing on onboard VPC installations,
running Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, etc (the big apps that love free,
contiguous 'scratch' drive space, and fast access times), a
fragmented disk, whether it's an Apple, Unix, Windows, SGI... no
matter,

Even large file transfers between internal and external drives are
much, much faster on defragged drives.

I use a lot of Unix apps, and yeah, I agree, they run fast, because
they're strings of commands, all in RAM (at least on my machine). But
then OSX still isn't as 'fast' in the Finder, as OS 9.2.2. Maybe
someday. <laughs>

Defrag regularly, and keep 20% free, (meaning unallocated) hard drive
space.<--minimum..... i.e. 80% is 'full'.

~flipper