[Ti] (OT) virus reports sent back to me by PC users

Michael wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Jun 16 11:21:15 PDT 2004

>Pride: Hackers and virus writers are motivated by ego. Any loser can write a
>virus for Windows, you don't have to know anything. But that's not true of
>Macs - or Unix in general - so what kind of an ego trip would it be to write
>the 'first' major virus/worm for OS X? Take that smug look right off the
>face of all those people who claim Macs are immune to viruses.

back in the late 90s there hadn't been a virus for Mac for about 7 or
8 years; most Mac users quit using and/or updating their virus
software, so a relatively easy to contain virus became pervasive very
quickly.  Based on discussions and contacts through out the Mac
world, I would venture to guess that OSX is currently in a similar
phase.  An OSX virus would probably get as much, if not more
publicity than a Windows virus right now, and if malicious, could
affect millions of people.
-mike
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com