[Ti] Itunes question

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 27 15:25:24 PDT 2004

Murray E. Milligan paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>I seem to have a lot of duplicate files on my HD. Duplicates of the mp3's
>I've obtained. Do I need to keep these extra duplicate files? Can I delete
>them to clear up some HD space?
>
>Murray

You might have a Preference set (it is the default, so), in iTunes,
that "Copies all imported mp3s to your iTunes Music folder.

I disabled that little devil right from the get go. My mp3s are on
external drives  Look in your Prefs, in iTunes. Click the "Advanced"
tab, and you'll see 2 boxes, near the bottom of the little window.
One is "Keep iTunes folder Organized", a Very Good Thing", the other,
is "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to Library". I
think I made my opinion of that one clear, already.

You do not need two copies of anything in iTunes. I prefer to let
iTunes organize itself, and to download, import, or 'get and store'
my files where I wish. Hope that helps.

~flipper