Tibook screen replacement how/where?

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Mon Jun 28 00:22:12 PDT 2004

Howdy all,

I've got a 1GHz superdrive Titanium PowerBook G4 which suffered a broken
screen in a car accident and insurance won't cover it.  So I'm in the market
for a new panel to suit.

Firstly, how does one open the display assembly?  It doesn't seem as
straightforward as it was on my Pismo.  Is there anything I should be
concerned about with opening the display assembly or is it better to aquire
an entire assembly+screen replacement?  I need to open it up first to
determine which screen it uses (the LG Philips or the Samsung panel) and
then order a replacement.

Basically, I can get a new screen for US$390 vs. the US$1K for the whole
screen+assembly.  Spending a grand on a screen seems pointless given that a
iBook G4 can be had for less (and I can't afford it).

Suggestions? Advice?

.t