Tibook screen replacement how/where?

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed Jun 30 08:57:10 PDT 2004

 Tristan Gulyas <zardoz at hotblack.net>wrote:
>Not sure what I should be using to glue it back together once I have opened
>it, though.
>
>Should I even bother, or sell the machine and invest in an aluminium
>powerbook?
Ti LCDs are regularly available on eBay for ~US$200-250, and frequently
for less (I just snapped one up for $149.)

<http://search.ebay.com/tibook-ti-book-titanium-g4-g4-pwrbook-powrbook-powe
rbook-power-book-pbook-pwrbk-lcd-screen-display-imac-powermac-power-mac-ibo
ok_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZQ28tibookQ2CQ22tiQ20bookQ22Q2C
titaniumQ2Cg4Q29Q20Q28g4Q2CpwrbookQ2CpowrbookQ2CpowerbookQ2CQ22powerQ20book
Q22Q2CpbookQ2CpwrbkQ29Q20Q28lcdQ2CscreenQ2CdisplayQ29Q20-Q28imacQ2Cpowermac
*Q2CQ22powerQ20macQ22Q2CibookQ29>

Yikes! Whatever happened to easily understandable URLs!! :-P

If you don't disturb the hinges and other bits surrounding the LCD inside
its bezel, it's a pretty straight-forward job. The LCD isn't really glued
to the bezel back at all, just a couple of dabs of hotmelt and the four
screws on the sides.

Once the LCD is installed into the bezel rear, some (masking) tape around
on the very edge of the LCD screen face will keep squeeze-out off the
screen. In fact, it's probably a good idea to mask all nearby external
painted surfaces.

The bezel face can be replaced using an adhesive suitable for glueing
metal to metal. I'd _NOT_ use epoxy. I don't know what Apple used, but
the original stuff is thin, brown, hard and brittle. For starters, I'd
suggest common household cement. Here the states Duco is a widely
available name brand, but anything similar ought to work.

You might want to test-practice with the old broken LCD before the final
assembly to determine the appropriate amount of glue to use. It always
enhances one's confidence level when you can practice first. :-D

Run a thin bead of glue around the LCD frame's face, being careful to
keep the glue more to the LCD's outer edge than the inner (you want
minimize squeeze-out onto the LCD screen.) Position the bezel face on the
LCD and using _lots_ of clips (springloaded clothespins are perfect)
clamp all around. Might be a good idea to wipe off any squeeze-out
_before_ it dries, though if you've masked well that may not be necessary.

If the LCD data cable is intact I'd suggest not dismantling the 'Book to
remove the cable, just do the LCD replacement with the bezel back and
hinges still in place. Removing the data cable from its internal
connector requires nearly complete disassembly of the 'Book and is to
avoided if possible.

The internal backlight connector has to disconnected of course, and on
the pre-DVI 'Books is a PITA to get at, but it _IS_ possible. With the
keyboard out you can feed in the new LCD's backlight cable through the
hinge opening and guide into its socket from the KB side. I found a thin
very long-nosed ex-medical tweezer very useful feeding the cable through
the hinge opening.

Ahh, heck with all that, just buy a new AlBook!

:-D

Dan K

PS: I've _got_ to add the above directions (with pics) to my web page,
     I'll get to that . . . errr, eventually :-}

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500